(Montfort-sur-Risle, 1849 - Rouen, 1928)
Dieppe, l'Ancien Casino, October 1879
Oil on canvas
Signed lower right A. Lebourg
Located and dated lower right Dieppe. October 1879.
Titled lower right L’ancien casino de Dieppe
Annotated on the bottom edge towards the middle L’ancien casino de Dieppe
38 x 71 cm
- Albert Lebourg by Léonce Bénédite, Editions des Galeries Georges Petit, Paris, 1923, describes (Dieppe l’ancien casino et la plage, S. à d. 46-76) on page 349, under Nr. 1198
Dieppe Casino - Postcard
Casino de Dieppe - Etching
Dieppe, the history of the Casino:
- The first bathing establishment was founded in 1822 by the Comte de Brancas, sub-prefect of the town. This accommodation surrounded by a garden with its elegant colonnade is considered as the first casino of Dieppe. Marie-Caroline, Duchesse de Berry, daughter of King Charles X, Dieppe attracts people of the court and many artists such as Rossini. In August 1824, she chose Dieppe as a vacation and starts bathing fashion already very popular in England.
- In 1857, a new casino with arches and glass roof was built on the model of the great glass palace international exhibitions. The casino of 1857 with its vaults and glass roofs is in the tradition of the great palaces of glass international exhibitions, such as Chrystal Palace in London. The fashion for sea bathing knows at this time a boost with the arrival of the railroad in 1848 in Dieppe.
- On 15 June 1886 the Moorish casino succeeded him and then gives Dieppe its brand. The Moorish casino of the Belle Epoque, opened June 15, 1886, so characteristic printed image to the local landscape. He remains in the memories of all fans as the finest Dynasty Dieppe casinos.
- In 1925, this oriental-style casino seems completely outdated by the time the Decorative Arts Exhibition in full swing and where modern art is popular. In 1926, it is modified to leave a place in Art Deco style casino. It is destroyed during the Second World War. Casino Art Deco years 1926-1942 has also left its mark on the resort. In the 30s, beach tourism is revived thanks to paid leave in 1936 that allow access to holidays on a smaller clientele.
- After the war, from 1946 to 1961, provisional casinos wood or Rachel villa on the seafront are replacing casino office. In 1961, Rachel villa was demolished to make way for the current casino.